- 1 cup butter
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup almonds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 bag of whole blanched almonds
- Cream butter and sugar for 10 minutes, add egg yolks and flavorings.
- Add remaining ingredients, except egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until stiff in a separate bowl.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Blend well.
- Grease baking pan (round 14” pan).
- Pour in batter and tuck coin (thinly wrapped in Aluminum Foil) into batter,
then hand lay whole blanched almonds around perimeter of surface.
(You can also spell out the current year in the middle of cake)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Note: For a smaller cake, prepare half of recipe, and bake in a 10” round greased baking pan for about 30 minutes.
"A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” - St. Basil the Great